Kaimuki Dry Goods
1144 10th Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
Hours of Operation (HST):
Mon to Fri: 9am to 8pm
Sat: 9am to 5pm
Sun: 10am to 4pm
In 1926, Mr. and Mrs. Takao Ozawa Takeya opened the original Kaimuki Dry Goods Store. At that time, Mr. Takeya was working
as a dry goods salesman for Theo H. Davies, and Mrs. Takeya managed the store. She also did dressmaking for special customers. It was a typical country
store, which stocked everything imaginable including candy, shoes, men's collars, toys, Easter baskets and jewelry as well as shelves of cotton and
and silk fabrics.
About a year before World War II, Mr. and Mrs. Takeya decided to retire. They formed a corporation and turned the store
over to their children -- George, Dorothy, Edith, Katherine, and Eleanor. George was later killed in action on October 21, 1943.
managed the store until April, 1972, when she retired. In 1994, she passed away. In 1966, Kaimuki Dry Goods, Ltd. was remodeled and began specializing
in patterns, notions, and fabrics. Presently, Edith Takeya is Chairman of the Board, daughter Dee Dee Miyashiro is President, Pam Metzger is Assistant
Manager and Kenneth Takeya is Bookkeeper.
And remember, "'You'll find it at Kaimuki Dry Goods!"
Pam Metzger, Assistant Manager; Dee Dee Miyashiro, president; Edith Takeya, Chairman